Thursday, March 24, 2005

The Demise of Ed

I am sad to report that Ed's short-lived contributions to this blog are at an end.

What happened was, he was getting himself a coffee the other day, and crossed the street against the light. He was tragically run over by a bus.

Ed was dragged about thirty feet before the driver could stop. Both of Ed's hands were crushed into pancakes under the wheels, and doctors were forced to amputate one of his legs below the knee. In addition, the skin of 90% of his face was erased on the pavement. It was an uncomfortable hospital visit:

Ed: Thanks for coming man...why are all these bandages on my face?

Me: (looking at the ceiling) Uh, I dunno. I guess you've got some bruises or something.

Ed: These bastards, they won't give me any pain meds. The doctor gave me Ibuprofen. What the fuck?!

Me: Demand the real meds. You lost a leg, for Crissake.

Ed: The way things are going for me, they'd just inject it in my butt anyway. The humiliation.

Me: That's a good thing, you get up to 10 times the benefit from rectal administration.

Ed: Yeah, that's what I told her!

At this point, Ed gamely attempted to give me a tough-guy "thumbs-up" but couldn't do it. I think he started to cry a bit, but I couldn't really tell, with the bandages and all.

Anyway, before he passed out from the pain and everything, Ed told me that he didn't think he could contribute to the blog anymore, not unless his rehab goes a lot better than doctors are predicting. He has to do a lot of exercises and things with his hands, once all the bones heal and the pins are removed.

"With these casts on my hands...well, it's going to feel like a stranger, eh?" Ed said.

Nobody is stranger than you, Ed. Good luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home