Monday, April 11, 2005

Wino and I Have a Chat

“Have you applied to any jobs yet?” I ask. I’m fooling around with my guitar, plucking the same power chords you hear in any so-called commercial “punk” song. Those chords, they’ve been used about a million times, and everybody keeps listening to them.

Wino, he’s kind of milling around the room in his filthy Homer Simpson slippers. Homer’s mouth is eating each of his feet as he does. He’s carrying the only wine glass he owns; he’s been drinking his grapey red again from bottles with no labels. He corked it himself at the liquor store for only three bucks a bottle. There are spigots on the wall down there, a wine buffet stretching to the back of the store, and a man with alcoholic designs can get anything he needs.

“Would you like a sample, sir?” the attendant had asked, offering him a plastic cup at the taps.

“Don’t mind if I do,” Wino had said, accepting the cup. His eyes had the desperate gleam of a man about to get what he wants for a very low price. “And, actually -- I’ll take a few of these, my good man!” he waved the attendant away. Shoo, fly. He reckoned his stack of cups would allow him to try each variety of the reds…or he would die trying.

He swirls his glass around now. “Not really…but I applied to be a bus driver though. I was talking to the guy on the bus, and I think it would suit me. I can take lots of shit without caring, really.”

I hear an old tune in my head and play the chords some more. “Sounds all right…and the money is good too,” I say.

“Yeah,” he says, sipping the wine. I can smell it from here. “Did you see what I did to the tree?”

“No, what?”

“I put up some decorations,” he says.

I look out the window, and sure enough, a half-dozen bagels are hanging from the tree outside, thrown up there in the branches in the same way a kid would heave a pair of tied-up sneakers over a power line. It’s bait, you see. We need them to come closer. They’re getting wise.

Wino smiles at his handiwork. “Now…they won’t be able to resist. All those bagels, just hanging there…they’ll come. And when they do…” he trails off, looking to the corner where our rifles are. He doesn’t need to finish the thought for me. Yes, they’ll come…and when those fat, hairy bastards begin to gnaw on our bagels…they’ll get the surprise of their lifetimes. The guns, they are always loaded, leaning on the frame beside the window.

Wino finishes his glass. “Do you think I should take ‘paperboy’ off my resume?” he asks.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

9 Comments:

At 11:30 p.m., Blogger Bottle Rocket Fire Alarm said...

Those sizable front squirrel teeth can be superglued to a bamboo stick to create an amazingly satisfying backscratcher.

The tails are great for fur hats if there aren't any raccoons about and you need to dress up as an outdoorsman for Arbor Day.

The skulls are great for tribal style necklaces. Especially if you boil the bones in the blood. The maroon color makes them a great conversation piece.

Finally, the intenstines can be hollowed, stretched, and dried to provide a decent substitution for catgut tennis racket strings. They have a nice smoky amber color to them which makes for a lovely stylish racket with surprising spring to it.

Oh, I almost forgot. Goldfish just love vinegar pickled squirrel eyes. They'll nibble on them all day long, savoring every miniscule gulp.

All far better than bagels. Even onion bagels with scallion cheese.

 
At 12:02 a.m., Blogger Wino McHackenpuke said...

You can't make this stuff up, folks.

 
At 1:22 a.m., Blogger SS said...

aw, i like squirrels, they are so cute. why would you want to kill them? what have they ever done to you? what harm does their existence cause?

 
At 11:14 a.m., Blogger mira said...

wow, a post that held my interest. That rarely happens in the world of blog-hopping. Well done!

 
At 12:14 p.m., Blogger Other Brother said...

Skin , gut, and quarter the squirrel. Discard the head (or make a necklace, whatever).
Fry the quarters and make a gravy with the leftovers. Mmm Mmm. Delicious. Like I'm twelve all over again.

 
At 5:45 p.m., Blogger John Hamre said...

Oh that was a funny story!
...and seeing the picture of that babe Sandra within your posted comments?....

aw, i like squirrels, they are so cute. why would you want to kill them? what have they ever done to you? what harm does their existence cause?

Who cares girl, but you are defiantly fine!

 
At 9:40 p.m., Blogger SS said...

thank you johnny!

 
At 7:53 p.m., Blogger Wino McHackenpuke said...

Yeah, Sandra's the resident groupie.

 
At 8:35 p.m., Blogger SS said...

is that my official title? awesome!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home